Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Eve

I've been a bit busy with some cooking this week! Nothing too major but we had our office thanksgiving luncheon yesterday. I brought sweet potato casserole - a healthy version - from SkinnyTaste! It disappeared quickly! I even doubled the recipe for a larger crowd.


I made my Christmas Cheese ball this past weekend to take with us. My brother in law LOVES the cheese ball and the recipe actually makes enough for two small ones. 

We had tons of apples for some reason so plopped them in the slow cooker for some apple oatmeal for later! 

I'm in charge of Thanksgiving breakfast and due to limited travel space I went ahead and made some of the recipes last night - I know, a little risky, but I really didn't have much of a choice! We will be having banana bread, broiled grapefruits, sausage and egg casserole, and white cheddar grits. Oh, and of course prosecco mimosas!



Broiled Grapefruit: 
This recipe feeds however many you want it to depending on how many people you are feeding.  In my case, we are feeding 6 so I purchased 3 grapefruits. You're going to turn the oven on Broil - HI. Then you will cut each grapefruit in half and slice it for eating. Put the grapefruits on a baking sheet covered in tin foil or in baking dishes. Top each with a sprinkling of about 1 TB of brown sugar. Then top each with a tab of butter. Depending on your oven, these will go in for about 5 minutes. Just watch them, once the sugar is bubbly and a caramelized brown - pull them out. This recipe does not disappoint! I have also seen people top the grapefruit with a dollop of honey yogurt. I think that would be really tasty as well. Also, you may want to shave a little off the bottom of the grapefruit half if it does not sit up right.


Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole:
This recipe was given to me by my coworker many years ago. There are so many different ways you can make a breakfast casserole but they all pretty much turn out the same way. This will feed 6-8

Ingredients:
6 eggs
2 cups of whole milk
1 tsp dried mustard
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1 roll of Jimmy Dean original sausage
12 slices of bread (I used gluten free Rudi's bread from Harris Teeter)
1 stick of butter melted

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Cook sausage in skillet and drain grease.
  3. Whisk eggs with milk and dried mustard.
  4. Cut crust off bread.
  5. Pour some of melted butter in to bottom of dish to cover. Place bread over that. Repeat for second layer.
  6. Pour sausage over bread. Then poor egg mixture over bread.
  7. Sprinkle the top with enough cheese to cover dish.
  8. Cover with foil and cook 30 minutes.
  9. Remove foil and cook for additional 15 minutes.

*This dish can be made the night before and baked the next morning.


White Cheddar Grits:
My co-worker gave me this recipe just yesterday and since cheese grits is a big part of my family's holiday tradition, I just had to make them for Thanksgiving breakfast! This recipe feeds 6.

Ingredients:
2 cups of whole milk
2 cups of heavy cream (this recipe is not fat free!)
1 cup of Quaker Oats (not instant) grits
1/3 cup of cream cheese
1 1/2 cup of grated sharp white cheddar cheese

Directions:
In a sauce pan on medium-low heat, bring the whole milk and the cream to simmer.
Once simmering, add grits and stir.
Continue to stir off and on for 25 minutes so that there are no lumps.
Once finished cooking, add cream cheese and white cheddar and stir until completely melted into grits.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment