Wednesday, September 8, 2010

So Hard Turned So Easy!


Check out my VERY FIRST try at Red Beans and Rice!! Dave LOVED IT - as you can see his bowl was HUGE! Dave grew up eating this dish so I knew that I had to make it for him to win his heart (like I had to!) I was sort of dreading it as it is a longer process than my usual meals but it really turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. However, unless you want to wait 2.5 hours for dinner, it's probably a great thing to make on the weekend and have all week long - like chili!
Our friends Lauren and Jeremy invited us over to try out this recipe at their house. Jeremy is from Louisiana and he and Lauren both liked this recipe and shared it with me... Lauren made a few adjustments and I did the same things she did for the most part. I was lucky that I had some sausage that Dave's mom had given me from New Orleans in our freezer! :)
For the Ham both Lauren and I used bacon... and this makes your bacon grease in your pan! I also used a non-smoked ham-hock, just one. And I used red pepper instead of green. I also didn't top the dish with scallions because, who cares? Not Dave! lol!
Thanks L and J for sharing this recipe! So happy to now know that I can make this dish for my honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment