Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A HEALTHY Summer Meal!




So while reading Skinny Bitch I have been avoiding meat like it's the plague! But this is making cooking dinner a huge challenge for me - finding vegetarian recipes where ever I can! I'm very much enjoying this challenge however I am not quite sure Dave is as happy. lol. He is dealing and I stick meat on his plate whenever I can! ;)

Since it's August and I have been waiting for this month to come all summer... I went all out on Tomatoes and Basil at the store this week! So I had to start dinners this week with a SUPER fabulous summer favorite of mine... Tomato Sandwiches! The way I make mine: toast whole wheat bread. for two people mix:3/4 cup light mayo, a little lemon juice and some olive oil with a handful of chopped basil. Slice up two small tomatoes. Spread the mayo mixture over both sides of the bread, top with fresh tomato slices and sprinkle with salt and pepper before topping with other piece of bread and slicing on the diagonal (because it looks prettier!)

I made a Yummy Potato Salad from Martha Stewart's magazine - from the Healthy eating section which turned out to be superb!

Buttermilk Potato Salad -Martha Stewart Living, Aug 09
serves 8
3 pounds small red potatoes
1/4c and 1 T of sour cream
1/3c low-fat buttermilk
2 T prepared horseradish
2 t coarse salt
1/4c dill sprigs (i used 1 teaspoon dried)
1/4c finely chopped chives
Cover potatoes with water by 1.5 inches in a 2qut pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and summer until potatoes can be pierced easily with the tip of a knife - about 20 min. Drain and let cool completely. Cut into quarters. Thn stir potatoes, sour cream, buttermilkl, horseradish, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Gently stir in herbs just before serving.

Zucchini
I also had some zucchini that I put in the pan on high with a dab of butter and let them brown. Then after taking it off the heat I put 1/4c of italian breadcrumbs in and mixed it all together.


And lastly I made a big pot of Ellie Krieger's Summer Corn and Vegetable Soup that was in the magazine Quick and Fresh, Aug 09

Creamy Summer Corn and Vegetable Soup

Ingredients

  • 4 cups fresh corn kernels or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen, thawed
  • 2 cups nonfat milk
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 medium zucchini, (about 1/2 pound) diced
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons

Directions

Put 2 cups of the corn and the milk into a blender or food processor, until smooth. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook, stirring until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups of corn and the broth and bring to a boil. Add the pureed corn and tomatoes and cook until warmed through, but not boiling. Add the salt and season with pepper. Serve garnished with the basil ribbons.

serves 6


No comments:

Post a Comment