Tuesday, March 24, 2009

How to run AWAY from the big scary word....

Why is it that now everyone can't go through life without getting cancer? Whatever happened to people living into their 90's? Where have we gone wrong and how do we fix this?


According to the Prevent Cancer Foundation, here is what we need to do:


1. Eat Well
Eat Fish not red Meat. Eat antioxidants like blueberries because they fix your broken cells. Eat dark, leafy greens like spinach. Limit your alcohol intake (women, no more than 1 drink per day - men, no more than 2 drinks per day)

2. Be Active

Exercise 5 days a week. Did you know that this can reduce colon cancer by 50%?? WOW.

3. Don't Smoke

I think that this can be related to no.2... stressed? Go for a walk. Or eat ice cream and then go for a walk. Heck, drink 1 glass of wine, that's better than smoking too! :)

4. Get Screened

The earlier detection, the better your chances are!

*A Change = A Chance

With all this research I am doing on this topic, I feel that I want to improve my life even more. Apparently, Women with breast cancer are five to nine times more likely to have pesticide residues in their blood than those who do not. So this means that I need to go organic. I know it's an expense and I know it will be a gradual process but when I think about why my Grandmother didn't have cancer.... I think it had a lot to do with the way food was processed and treated in her time, and how that has changed today. Not only am I wanting to go completely organic, I am going to try to ween myself away from sugar substitutes like Splenda. It seems as though diet soft drinks actually have the reverse impact on dieting ... they are a leading cause in obesity and it has been proven to cause even lab rats to gain weight when drinking a diet soda. Come to think of it, I only remember my Grandmother having bottled Coca-Cola's in her cabinets! I know we are all worried about weight gain but what's a teaspoon of sugar in your coffee going to do to your waist if you are working it off in the evenings? Plus, Water is really what you should be drinking to get you through the days, not soda which dehydrates. If caffeine calls your name, grab a regular coke once a week. Keep it on the safe side!

So if Saccharin can cause bladder cancer in lab rats & Aspartame causes brain tumors, what does sugar cause? I suppose it just causes fat.

In the U.S. we have saccharin (e.g., Sweet'N Low), aspartame (e.g., Equal, NutraSweet) and sucralose (e.g., Splenda, Altern) for artificial sweetners. So far there is no research stating that Splenda can cause cancer unlike these other two leading sugar substitutes, but who says that it won't in the future? It hasn't been around nearly as long as Sweet n' Low! For more information on this subject see Wikipedia for answers!

One day when I have my own family, my own children... I have a feeling I'm going to be the weird organic-everything mom, but I think it's worth it, don't you?

I am going to keep researching prevention of cancer and get to the bottom of why cancer has hit so many friends and family of mine in just the last 10 years....Let's stop poisoning our bodies and get them back to where they started - clean, pure, normal!

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment