Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Those Carrots


So every Christmas my mom's side of the family makes what we like to call, "those carrots". "Are you making THOSE carrots?" "Sure am!"... and you see how that goes... Well they have become my steadfast for the office potluck! I wouldn't really recommend them for a large group however there are several people in the office who request them and the carrots are just too easy not to make. My aunt Leslie sent me the recipe last year so that I could e-mail it out to my co-workers so now I am passing it on to you all as well! :)



"Those Carrots”
(Carrots with Mustard and Dill)

2 lbs. carrots, cleaned and cut into chunks (about 5 cups)
½ cup water

In 2 quart microwave casserole or bowl, place carrots and water. Cover with vented microwavable plastic wrap. Microwave at High for 10 to 14 minutes, until crisp-tender. (I steam the carrots – it takes the same amount of time with the same results.)

Sauce:
½ cup coarsely chopped onions
1 T butter
½ cup mayonnaise (I only use about half that amount - use your judgment)
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
2 T coarse brown mustard
1 ½ t chopped fresh dill (or ½ t dry)

For sauce: In a 2 cup measuring cup or bowl, place onions and butter. Microwave at High for 1 to 2 minutes, until onions are almost tender. Stir in mayonnaise, salt and pepper, mustard and dill. Pour over carrots and toss to mix well.

Serves 6 – 8.

Source: The Kentucky Derby Museum Cook Book

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment