Monday, November 11, 2013

Yankee Salmon Chowder

Note: See update below!

Last night I made some salmon corn chowder. When the weather gets colder I want soup, soup and more soup! But only the homemade kind :)

My aunt makes everything salmon and she makes this Epicurious salmon chowder recipe. It's always been a favorite of mine. I didn't think to look that up before googling just any salmon chowder recipe lol. SO, I made Rachael Ray's version (called Yankee Salmon Chowder) which is probably less fattening and more simple to make. I was surprised at how quick it was to make as well. But then again, RR does know her way around a 30 minutes or less meal. lol. Anyway, after trying this new version, I really liked it! I think I will add some thyme to it tonight though. It needs some color and I remember that really sticking out in my aunt's recipe.


Yankee salmon chowder 
  • 1/2 pound sliced bacon, coarsely chopped (I buy the reduced fat kind)
  • 1.5 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2-15 ounce can  creamed corn
  • cups whole milk
  • 2 6 ounce pieces of salmon (I buy the frozen salmon at Trader Joe's)
  • Salt and pepper

  1. In a medium pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until the fat renders. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons fat in the pot. Add the potatoes and onion and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Stir in the creamed corn, milk and 1 cup water and bring to a simmer. Add the salmon, lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender and the salmon is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
  2. Using a fork, break up the salmon into small chunks. Stir in the cooked bacon and season with salt and pepper.


*Recipe Update*
I added a tablespoon of dried thyme, 1/2 tablespoon more of kosher sea salt, 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the soup last night..... and it really made an impact and turned out even better than I expected!!!!! I think the combo of the two recipes was a hit and Dave seemed to like it! We had this, grilled cheese, and lactaid. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment