Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fall Curry Chicken Casserole


Isn't this tree pretty? It's two houses up from us. 

I had some left over chicken from Tuesday night so I put together a casserole last night for dinner using it. My mother in law makes an awesome curry chicken casserole and since I didn't have the recipe at work, I figured I'd find something close by using my friend, Pinterest. The dish was a bit on the salty side but really good, really easy, and total comfort food.


(Serves 4-6)

1/3 large onion, diced1 stalk celery, chopped5 -6 large mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup margarine (I used unsalted butter)
3/4 cup rice (do not use instant rice - I used Jasmine)
1 teaspoon dried parsley 
1 1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon (or 2 cubes)
1 1/2 cups water
1 (11 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (I used 98% fat free)
3/4 cup sour cream (I used light)
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1/3 cup parmesan cheese (I did freshly grated)

Directions:
1
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion, celery and mushrooms in butter until tender.
2
Stir in rice, parsley, boullion and water. Bring to a boil.
3
Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
4
Add soup, sour cream and curry powder; mix well. Fold in chicken.
5
Spoon into a greased 2 qt baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment