Monday, October 28, 2013

Cajun Shrimp and Grits

This was one amazing dinner! I found it on the Creole Contessa's website. It's got a bit of a kick so if you don't like spicy I would edit the recipe to your palette. Most of this recipe is using things you already have in your kitchen - like spices!




Ingredients:

1 lb. of large shrimp, peeled, deveined (I bought already prepped-frozen at Harris Teeter)
1 lb. Andouille Sausage, sliced on the diagonal 1/2 inch (I used Whole Food chicken sausage)
1 tbsp. creole seasoning or seasoning salt (Tony's!)
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 stick of butter
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 stalks celery, chopped (I did not use celery)
1 jalapeno, diced (I did not use this and am glad I didn't because it was plenty spicy)
1 bell pepper, diced (I used 2 green, because I had them)
1 small red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used jarred)

For the Grits:

1 c. grits (Not the instant kind)
1 c. water
1 c. milk (I used reduced fat)
1 c. beef or chicken broth, low sodium + extra to thin grits as they cook (You're gonna use a lot of this)
1 stick of butter
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp. creole seasoning (Tony's!)
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder

Directions:

In a large pot bring all liquids to boil, add butter and seasonings. Slowly stir in grits while whisking nonstop for about two minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook grits, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.

Adding extra broth as needed to keep the grits thin. Add cheese and whisk well, add more broth if needed.

To prepare the shrimp, peel and devein shrimp, season with all the spices and set aside. In a large saute pan add butter and olive oil over medium high heat, add all the vegetables, except garlic and saute for 5 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute more.

Add andouille sausage and saute about 10-15 minutes, until browned. Add shrimp and cook about 3-4 minutes are until no longer pink. Serve on top of hot grits and enjoy!

PS. This is the creole seasoning you're going to buy-


No comments:

Post a Comment