Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Beth's Shrimp Creole



This recipe is from my mother in law. It is SO GOOD and we had it for 2 nights and I even brought it to work for lunch! My kind of recipe! And, it's healthy!

Ingredients - 

2 lbs fresh or frozen shrimp (medium - I used Trader Joe's frozen (not cooked/two bags) which I wished I'd thawed out before cooking them because I could have removed their tails!)
1 medium onion minced
2 stalks of celery minced
3 Tb of cooking oil (I used 2 Tb of olive oil)
1 Tb flour (I used GF rice flour)
2 cans of stewed tomatoes
1 and 1/2 tsp of a combined salt and pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 fresh lemon (sliced thin and seeds removed)s

Prep:
Thaw shrimp all day before preparing at night OR if fresh, wash and drain. Brown onion and celery in oil until a light golden brown. Add flour and brown a little more, stirring constantly.

Add cans of tomatoes, sliced lemon and all spices. Bring to boil and then turn down to simmer. Simmer for 15 mins. and stir 2 or 3 times.

Add Shrimp and bring to a fast boil again. Let them boil for a few minutes, turn down to simmer for 8 minutes until pink. Of course fresh shrimp may take only 5. They're done when they turn light pink. Don't over cook them! 

Serve over rice. Or I saw online where you could serve over grits. I am going to do that next time - sounds delish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment